The Mirror Lake HWY will be closed on Aug 8th from 11:00 AM (Evanston) till 3:00 PM(Kamas) for the Tour of Utah bicycle race.
There will be 130 riders and 120 vehicles participating in the race.
The road block will move with the race.
Please plan your driving plans accordingly.
Weather conditions are changing fast. Only a slight chance of showers today, Wednesday, July 23, then nothing until the beginning of August.
- Temperatures for this weekend are forecast to be around 80.
- Relative humidity will be in the teens to low 20 percentages during the day.
- Winds are forecast to be from the southwest thru west at 15 to 20 MPH with some higher gusts.
This all points to a very dangerous fire situation. Although we are not in a RED FLAG warning (yet) we could be at any time. The Board can take action to ban campfires if they feel conditions warrant; even if we are not under a RED FLAG warning.
For now I am asking everyone to voluntarily NOT have campfires until conditions improve.
Please read the information Jim posted below on how your campfire pit must be built to meet state requirements. If you campfire pit does not meet these requirements DO NOT USE IT.
The Fire Danger has moved to HIGH.
Campfires are still being allowed for now, but only in APPROVED FIRE PITS.
Here are the guidelines.
Please be careful so we all have a place to come back too.
With the July 24th weekend coming up, and it will be a 4-day weekend for some, just a reminder to all.
1. The speed limit is 15 MPH for ALL vehicles. Last weekend we stopped three individuals speeding on MLPOA roads.
2. Fire conditions. So far so good. We have had good summer rains which has kept our ground and plant moisture on the wet side. However, with summer conditions this may change at any time. If we are in a RED FLAG warning area campfires will be banned.
3. We do live in BEAR country. In the last 10 days a bear was spotted entering MLPOA in the vicinity of the Gray Gate. We have found one deer killed by a bear in the Hill Top Circle area. There may be another bear killed deer along Pine View Road – we have smelled it but cannot locate it, yet. There has also been mountain lion tracks seen on one road. Keep a close eye on your pets. Bears and mountain lions will protect their kills at all costs.
4. State law requires helmets to be worn by all individuals under the age of 16 when riding or being a passenger in or on an ATV/UTV/OHV. Response time to get an individual to a hospital with a major injury could be upwards of 90 minutes.
Reminders for the weekend.
Fire Danger is currently at MODERATE.
Camp fires in approved pits only.
The 15 MPH speed limit applies to trucks and cars as well as ATVs.
Helmets are required for all under the age of 18.
Today Scattered showers and thunderstorms after noon. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. South wind 9 to 15 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tonight Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before midnight. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Independence Day A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. South wind 13 to 16 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
- Friday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Mostly clear, with a low around 42. West wind 9 to 13 mph becoming south after midnight.
- Saturday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Sunny, with a high near 79. South wind around 13 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
- Saturday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.
- Sunday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 79
The 4th of July weekend is coming up and it will be a 3-day weekend. Just a reminder fireworks are NOT allowed in Manor Lands. We had a couple of days of good rain last week, but things will dry out fairly fast – be extra careful with campfires. As long as we are not in a RED FLAG warning area we will allow campfires – but the board can decide to ban campfires at their discretion.
Our speed limit is 15 MPH. I do not know how many times we must tell everyone about this. Remember the members are responsible for the activities of their guests. If they are caught speeding on any vehicle, you will be held responsible, and will pay any fines that may be levied toward your guest.
Lets have a safe and sane weekend.
During the work party on June 21st someone said they were told that the Manor Lands Board has been using road funds to do improvements to the caretakers cabin: e.g. replacing the dishwasher. And that they mis-allocated last years road funds for other “things”.
Let me set the record straight. Yes, we did replace the dishwasher in the caretakers cabin. It had been leaking for over three years and we did not want to see the floor rotting, which would cost quite a bit to repair.
The money DID NOT come from the road fund, it came out of the Facilities budget for the Security Cabin (line Item #6207). We have $1500 budgeted every year for this line item. By the way a board member picked up and delivered the dishwasher and Jim, our caretaker, installed the dishwasher. This further saved us a few hundred dollars in delivery and installation fees.
In 2013 we budgeted $14,400 for roads and spent over $12,000 on road material – we provided our own labor. We also budgeted $3000 for snow removal/grooming; last winter we only spent $200. This will be rolled over to our roads budget this year so we can get more roads fixed. This year we have budgeted over $17,000 for roads – the most in the last few years. There are a couple of roads that will need extra work and may have to be contracted.
Tim Overy is getting us roto-millings at his cost and not charging for delivery – this further saves us considerable road funds. Since Tim has a full time job, he is using his free time to deliver the material when he can. This year we are going to get as much material as we can to fix as many roads as we can within our budget.
BOTTOM LINE – THIS YEAR WE HAVE NOT SPENT ROAD MONEY TO FIX OTHER THINGS. The road fund is one of the few sources of funds that may be tapped in an emergency; but we avoid it if at all possible.
As you see the rumors and complaints that have been going around are completely baseless. So if anyone comes to you and says “did you hear” or “did you know” – tell them to get their facts straight before shooting their mouths off.
Currently 30 degrees, partly cloudy and calm. 2 to 3 inches of snow yesterday.
Pictures from the caretakers cabin.
Today Scattered snow showers before noon, then a slight chance of rain showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. West southwest wind 7 to 12 mph increasing to 13 to 18 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Tonight A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 30. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
- Thursday Sunny, with a high near 62. South southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.
- Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 33. West wind 5 to 15 mph becoming south after midnight.
- Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Light and variable wind becoming west southwest 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon.
- Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 39.
- Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.
All roads in Manor Lands are open.
Currently 53 degrees with thunder showers.
This Afternoon Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
- Tonight Scattered showers and thunderstorms before midnight, then a slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Saturday A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 58. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 8 to 13 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Saturday Night A 30 percent chance of showers before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. Northwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight.
- Sunday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. North wind around 7 mph.
- Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 33.
- Memorial Day Sunny, with a high near 69